Methodist Camp Woods House | Westchester County, NY | Completed Elevation
Methodist Camp Woods House | Westchester County, NY | Completed Camp Woods House
Methodist Camp Woods House | Westchester County, NY | Detail Of Upper Story
Methodist Camp Woods House | Westchester County, NY | Historic Campground Photograph

Design | Methodist Camp Woods House | Westchester County, NY | 1854

In 1854 a group of Swedish Methodist organized a summer camp meeting at Camp Woods Grounds. The first structures were tents on wooden platforms; and by 1870’s quasi-permanent structures began to appear, followed by summer, wood framed cottages by the end of the Nineteenth century. The design of this house was mandated by the local authority to remain on the “footprint” of the existing one-story, summer, cottage structure, allowing the new house to be only 13’-6” wide by 49’-0” long. The design of this small cottage houses 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths, a home office “nook”, a generous stair hall and an open kitchen, dining and living area.