Wood frame and brick infill structure with faux half-timbered wood cladding
Keramos Hall is an 1887 commercial building located in Greenpoint, Brooklyn in the center of the Greenpoint Historic District. Prior to restoration work, Keramos Hall’s facade was alterred beyond recognition and exhibited extreme deterioration of the original historic materials. The scope of work called for restoration of this distinctive and whimsically designed building, with its Stick Style faux-half-timbered walls, Italianate tower, Swiss Chalet-style pediments and bracketed cornices.
Due to designation as a New York City Landmark and listing on the National Register of Historic Places, the completion of the façade restoration required extensive coordination between local, state and federal agencies. The scope of work included rehabilitation of the exterior wood siding; recreations of the missing tower, pediments, brackets, and window crowns; window replacement and rehabilitation; and installation of weather/water proofing. Additional work included the installation of façade lighting, bird proofing, and roof repairs.
The project also required completion and approval of the Historic Preservation Certification Application in order to receive Federal Historic Preservation Tax Credits.
The restoration of Keramos Hall was awarded a 2013 Lucy G. Moses Preservation Award, presented by The New York Landmarks Conservancy, and a 2013 Preservation Excellence Award from the Preservation League of New York State.
Photo Credit: Michal Nowicki Photographer