Philipse Manor Railroad Station | Sleepy Hollow, NY | Completed Restoration
Philipse Manor Railroad Station | Sleepy Hollow, NY | Pre-restoration
Philipse Manor Railroad Station | Sleepy Hollow, NY | Post Restoration
Philipse Manor Railroad Station | Sleepy Hollow, NY | Post Restoration
Philipse Manor Railroad Station | Sleepy Hollow, NY | Restored Porch
Philipse Manor Railroad Station | Sleepy Hollow, NY | Interior Post Restoration
Philipse Manor Railroad Station | Sleepy Hollow, NY | Interior Detail, Restored
Philipse Manor Railroad Station | Sleepy Hollow, NY | Restoration In Progress
Philipse Manor Railroad Station | Sleepy Hollow, NY | Exterior Pre-restoration
Philipse Manor Railroad Station | Sleepy Hollow, NY | Interior Pre-restoration
Philipse Manor Railroad Station | Sleepy Hollow, NY | Plan & Building Section

Historic Preservation | Philipse Manor Railroad Station | Sleepy Hollow, NY | 1910

“The restoration of the formerly abandoned railroad station is a wonderful example of the beautiful results that can be achieved through attention to professional standards in historic preservation and a creative approach to adaptive re-use.”
Jay DiLorenzo, President of the Preservation
League of New York State, 2005

The “Tudorbethan” Philipse Manor Station (circa 1910) is on the National Register of Historic Places and was awarded the Excellence in Preservation Award from the Preservation League of New York State in 2005. Serving as a gateway for one of the nation’s first planned suburban developments, Philipse Manor, the station was abandoned by MetroNorth in the 1970’s, falling victim to vandalism and degradation.

The restoration and rehabilitation work included emergency roof repairs, structural stabilization of the building’s frame, new utility services and complete restoration of the interior and exterior of the building.  Much of the building’s original significance has been attributed to the many surviving features in the interior related to its original use. Many of these, including (original finishes and cabinetry) were retained and restored.

The project was funded by several grants including:  NYS Department of Transportation I.S.T.E.A. Grant; NYS Council on the Arts, Capital Grant; and a grant from the Empire State Development Corporation.  The project required coordination with the MTA, the Village of Sleepy Hollow and the granting agencies.