Historic Preservation | Beaux-Arts Bank | Ossining, NY | 1908
Brick and limestone construction with steel truss pyramidal roof; carved limestone and copper ornamentation. The Ossining Bank for Savings is a limestone; Beaux-arts style building designed by architects Lansing C. Holden and built in 1908. Unoccupied and unheated since the late 1990’s the building is in a state of disrepair.
Originally square in plan with a two-story banking hall with two-story windows and an ornamental plaster ceiling, subsequent owners installed a second floor obscuring the monumental space and two-story windows. The exterior of the building is rich with engaged, fluted Ionic columns, modillioned cornice enriched with copper antefixae, entablatures with elaborate cartouches and radiating voussoire above the rectangular window openings. KTA participated in the development team, providing conceptual design for the adaptive reuse of this historic building as a multi-faceted food and entertainment establishment, as well as, exterior envelope restoration.
The design provided use for every level of the building with a ratskeller in the lower level, a bar and restaurant on the main floor and an events catering space on the second floor with the intervention in the non-historic second floor plane offering an atrium effect allowing a visual connection from the main floor to the ornamental ceiling and once grand two-story space, while also achieving catering capacity. The original skylights were to be restored offering natural light down through the ornamental glass ceiling and the atrium.