98 Fort Greene Place | Brooklyn, NY | 1857
Brick construction with brownstone facing and brownstone ornamentation, along with an ornate wood cornice and ornamental metal work
98 Fort Greene Place is located in the Brooklyn Academy of Music Historic District in Fort Greene, Brooklyn. The building was originally constructed in 1857 as one in a set of four identical Italianate brownstones by local builder Thomas Porter. In 1919, led by architect Robert Firth, the building underwent major alterations to its façade and interior circulation. Alterations included the enlargement of the fourth-story windows, relocation and redesign of the entry, and conversion of the original entrance door into a parlor window. These and later alterations give 98 Fort Greene Place a distinctive character amongst its neighbors.
The scope of work includes full façade brownstone restoration, restoration of the existing wood cornice, window frames and entry door, and repair of existing precast sills and planter. Although most of the project consists of restoring the existing facade, a hybrid preservation approach has been taken towards working with the original 1857 design and the areas of alteration. The window enframements, with their various alterations, require creative solutions which embrace both their original history and altered state. When completed in the winter of 2013, the restored façade will mark a new phase in the building’s legacy.
Historic Photo Copyright: Brian Merlis